Sunday, September 13, 2009

Project 2: Arduino HW - Chemical Burn

So for our SmartSurfaces class we had a HW assignment to make our Arduino Board (http://www.arduino.cc/) do something different with the LEDs and also we had to make a creative covering (lampshade).

The tutorials for this were VERY clear and simple to do. I enjoyed this project a lot, and am going to be messing around with my board. What I personally loved most about this board, was that I know more about circuits then I ever did when I took Physics 240. I don't understand why this type of board is not included in the class, everything clicks so much more now. I showed my mom the LEDs and she loved the colors and now wants me to make something for her room with the lights.
Anyways here is a picture of the final project...then I'll explan.

So my biggest issue was the construction of something that covered the LEDs but also covered the board and all the wires. So instead of covering all of that I decided to make a slender tube to cover the LEDs. The tube was made of a combination of wax paper and packing material.

I didn't want to just do a slender tube, so I originally was trying to make like a flower bouquet with the leaves of a "Money Plant" that would change colors. I then discovered that when a piece of paper was angled in the right way that the light reflected in the shape of a flame.

So then I decided to make a candle as my covering. I wrote the program so that it would stay on the orange color for a few seconds, then to immitate someone walking by the candle, I made the flame "flicker" but when it "flickered" it changed colors to like green, red, turqoise etc (See pic below). I called my project "Chemical Burn" because of how different colors when burned give off different colors (like red, blue etc.) so I thought it was fitting in that sense too.

No comments:

Post a Comment