Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Night Before.....

The past few weeks we have been learning various things so that we have some tools to help us when we make our final project.  Tomorrow we get our final teams to start our big project.  I'm a little worried and a little anxious.  I'm excited to finally get our final teams.  However, I am also nervous because the dynamic of the group is very important and I hope we have good dynamics (or can learn to have good dynamics...if that's actually possible).  I feel as though I'm a pretty easy person to get along with, so long as the person does work.  If a person does not do work, that's when I get frustrated. 

Covalent Energy - Light Concentrating Solar Cells

Anyways....here is something cool I found.  Jonathan Mapel has these plastic sheets with organic dyes (in different colors) that direct light along the sheet and illuminates the edges.  He suggests then putting the solar cells on the edges, where the light has been concentrated.  He says hes wants to use dyes that are good at absorbing white light and then bad at absorbing whatever color (wavelength) that the sheet is. 
























Here is a video of him explaining this in more detail.
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid37875717001?bctid=1653764292
I found this video really interesting because he is reducing the amount of solar cell material that is needed. So instead of needing to cover the entire panel with solar cells, only the edges would have solar cells.  I never really had looked at "directing" the sunlight, instead of trying to have the largest surface area.  It's a very interesting idea. 
Here is his company's website, Covalent Solar http://www.covalentsolar.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment