Sunday, October 4, 2009

So this week for our 4th and final mini-project before our big project, we were given far less restraints than normal. Instead of having a concrete problem to solve, we were given bare requirements, and get to decide the other 97%.

I am very intrigued about this scenario, because my group has decided to sort of work in reverse. Our ideas is in layers. The first layer is the mechanism and the next layer(s) is going to be the purpose/why. Since we have an idea for a controlled mechanism we are going to finish the first layer and then try a series of different purposes/bottom layers. I don't think I have ever worked in reverse. It's always been: problem, solution, review. Our design process is more of the 'egg came before the chicken' thinking. We have ideas for the why, but we're trying to not decide that just yet. I'm excited to have sort of a modular flexibility, which, hopefully will work out in the end.

Anyways, here are a few things that have I found interesting.
First off is a alliance called enocean (http://www.enocean.com/en/enocean_concept/). They are an alliance for the "dedication to the advancement of self-powered interoperable wireless building controls". Here is their white paper.

This paper discusses how they want to control the temperature, lighting, appliances etc. with wireless sensors that are wireless and have no battery. This alliance was of particular interest for me because I really like the idea of using everyday gradients, or motions to generate enough power to monitor other things that help minimize the amount of energy used. These self-powered sensors could help monitor appliance use, or prevent lights from being left on. I don't know, the idea just sort of excites me. I know that these devices won't be replacing any electricity source persay, but cutting back on unncessary energy use is just as important.
I take a "boot camp" class at the gym. While this class is going on, the heat in the room goes up by quite a bit. It would be interesting to see if the heat could be harnessed for the little sensors described above.
Another article I found interesting was about the 'Positive Energy Elithis Tower' in france (http://www.jetsongreen.com/2009/10/positive-energy-elithis-tower-dijon.html).
This building gives a live feed of the energy and emission used in the building. I thought it was an interesting approach, because they add some sort of user awareness. Knowing how much energy or emissions are being used/given off may not detain people from using those appliances, but knowing numbers and direct relations does at least make people conscious of how much energy they are using. Most people I know have no idea how much energy they use in a day. Once again, I'm not saying this awareness is going to change habits, but it makes it easier to keep track of changes in usage.


Ok my third and final topic has to do with IBM's Battery 500 Project. http://www.smartertechnology.com/c/a/Technology-For-Change/Battery-500-Project-Charged-Up-over-AllElectric-Cars/. IBM's goal is to make an electric battery that can run a car on a single charge for 500 miles vs the 100 miles it can currently do. So last year IBM had an internal challenge to make this improved battery. There was a winner, and now a bunch of engineers and scientists from IBM are going to test this design even more. The ultimate goal of this 2 year project is to see if this type of battery technology is even feasible. Here is the podcast about it http://asmarterplanet.com/blog/2009/08/next-generation-electric-energy-storage.html

I found this of particular interest for a couple of different reasons. First, I liked how it was at first an internal contest (so lot's of different mind's views). And secondly, I like hearing that people are consciously trying to improve battery technology and not just wait till someone else does it. I love the go-get'em attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment